This classic recipe for meatloaf is an old-fashioned favorite, made with ground beef or a mixture of beef and pork, oats, and seasonings. Serve this everyday family meatloaf with mashed potatoes and corn or peas for a perfect everyday meal.
- Heat the oven to 375 F.
- Chop the celery into 1/4-inch dice. Peel the onion and chop it finely.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chopped celery and onion; cook, stirring, until the vegetables are tender, about 7 to 9 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix the ground beef, oats, 1/4 cup of the chili sauce or ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, beaten egg, celery and onion mixture, and the water or milk. In a 9-by-13-by-2-inch baking pan, shape meat mixture into a 9-by-5-inch loaf.
- Bake the meatloaf in the preheated oven for 1 hour. Spread the ketchup over the top and bake for about 10 to 15 minutes longer.
- Let the meatloaf stand for 10 minutes. Using 2 spatulas, carefully move meatloaf to a serving plate and slice.
Tips and Variations
- Double this recipe and make two loaves, one for dinner and one for the future. Wrap one in foil and put it in a zip-close freezer bag.
- Instead of all ground beef, use half ground beef and half ground pork.
- If you grind your own meat, grind it coarsely. Your meatloaf will be moister and more tender.
- Add 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese or 1/4 cup of grated Parmesan cheese.
- After spreading ketchup over the top of the loaf, arrange 4 to 5 slices of cheese on the loaf. Return the meatloaf to the oven to bake for about 10 to 15 minutes longer.
- You might also like this basic meatloaf with barbecue sauce, or try this bacon-wrapped meatloaf. For something a little different, try these meatloaf muffins or meatloaf sliders.