This apple pie recipe is lightly spiced with a little nutmeg. The brown sugar flavors the filling perfectly.
- pastry for a 9-inch double crust pie, chilled (see below for recipes)
- 6 cups tart apples, sliced and peeled
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Heat the oven to 450° F (230° C/Gas 8).
- Roll half of the chilled pie dough out to a circle about 11 to 12 inches in diameter.
- Line a 9-inch pie plate with the rolled-out prepared pastry.
- Combine the next eight ingredients and fill the pie shell, laying apple slices flat. Dot with the butter.
- Roll out top crust to about 11 inches and place it over the apple mixture, cutting slits in several places for steam to escape. Moisten edges of crust well with cold water and adjust top crust.
- With fingers or fork, pinch the top and bottom crusts together to make a tight seal around pie. Bake for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350° F (180° C/Gas 4) and bake 45 to 50 minutes longer.
If the crust is browning too quickly, cover it with a pie crust shield or homemade foil ring.
You Might Also Like
Sour Cream Apple Pie