This Spanish Chorizo Sausage omelet is a simple one that has lots of flavor with Spanish chorizo sausage slices. It makes a great breakfast, light lunch or an appetizer or "tapa." Serve with baguette slices.
- 1 Spanish chorizo sausage (1/2 pound or 250 grams)
- 3-4 tablespoon virgin Spanish olive oil
- 3 eggs
- salt to taste
- Important Note re Spanish Chorizo: This sausage is very different than Mexican or Caribbean chorizo. Spanish chorizo is a firm, dry sausage where most Mexican chorizo is fresh and soft sausage, not cured sausage. If you can't find Spanish Chorizo, use Portuguese Linguica sausage, which is very similar to Spanish Chorizo and should be easy to find in your local supermarket.
- Cut the chorizo sausage into slices approximately 1/4-inch thick.
- In an 8-inch heavy-bottom frying pan, pour 1-2 tablespoons olive oil to coat the bottom. Heat on medium flame. When hot enough, place chorizo slices into the pan and brown, turning each slice once. The sausages will release fat as they are heated.
- When the sausages are browned, remove from heat and pour out excess fat and oil.
- Place sausage on a plate.
- Crack the eggs into a small mixing bowl and beat the eggs with a whisk or fork. Add about 1/2 teaspoon salt. Add the chorizo slices and mix.
- Heat same frying pan on medium-low heat, adding 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil if necessary. When warm, pour in egg-chorizo mixture and cook eggs.
- When the bottom of omelet is browned, carefully fold omelet in half. Then, flip omelet over using a spatula to ensure that egg mixture in the center is cooked.
- When eggs are no longer runny and are cooked in the center, slide out of the pan onto a plate.
- Serve with slices of fresh baguette.
Traditionally, Spaniards would prepare and pack food and snacks when taking a long trip, or when they spent the day in the countryside, spent the day fishing, etc. They might prepare an omelet such as this, slice a baguette lengthwise and place it inside the baguette. The Spaniards call this kind of sandwich a bocadillo. It is a nutritious and filling sandwich and doesn't leak or drip like a sandwich prepared with lunch meat and mayonnaise.