This is a flavorful basic chicken rice casserole from Liz. Top this chicken casserole with cheese just before you take it out of the oven.
Take a look at some visitors' comments and suggestions below the recipe.
- 1 can (10 3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup (or cream of celery, chicken, etc.)
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup rice
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika, plus more for sprinkling
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more for sprinkling
- boneless chicken breast halves, without skin*
- 1 cup shredded cheese, cheddar or a cheddar blend, optional
Heat the oven to 375 F.
Lightly butter a shallow 2-quart baking dish.
In a bowl, combine the condensed soup, water, rice, paprika, and freshly ground black pepper.
Transfer the rice mixture to the prepared baking dish.
Place the chicken breast halves on top of rice mixture.
Sprinkle with additional paprika and black pepper.
Cover and bake at 375° for 45 minutes, or until chicken is done and rice is tender.
If desired, sprinkle with cheese and continue baking just until cheese is melted.
*According to the USDA a serving of chicken is 3 to 4 ounces. Chicken breast halves are usually 5 to 8 ounces and sometimes larger. If the chicken breasts are quite large, you may want to use only 2 chicken breast halves; slice them in half horizontally to form four cutlets.
Tips and Variations
- Buttered Bread Crumb Topping: Toss 1 cup of fine soft bread crumbs with 2 tablespoons of melted butter. Sprinkle over the chicken and bake as directed. If desired, omit the cheddar cheese and add a few tablespoons of Parmesan cheese to the bread crumb mixture.
- Add 1 cup of steamed peas and carrots or mixed vegetables to the rice mixture.
Visitor Comments and Suggestions
This is a really good recipe! I make a few additions to make it even better. I add about a cup of frozen vegetables, use cream of chicken soup instead of mushroom (personal preference), add about 1/2 cup grated cheese to the top and then sprinkle with about 1/4 cup of bread crumbs. Delicious. ~ Sarah
I really don't cook unless I have to and when I do it has to be simple. This one was simple and tasted great. I substituted condensed cheese soup for the cream of mushroom because I don't like mushrooms, and noodles instead of rice, because that is what I had on hand. It was really good, I think next time I will save some of the soup and pour it over the chicken. I can't imagine anything easier. One pan to prepare in, cook, and store the leftovers. great! ~ Gem Song
You Might Also Like