This is a flavorful basic chicken rice casserole from Liz. Top this chicken casserole with cheese just before you take it out of the oven.
Take a look at some visitors' comments and suggestions below the recipe.
- 1 can (10 3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup (or cream of celery, chicken, etc.)
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup rice
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika, plus more for sprinkling
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more for sprinkling
- boneless chicken breast halves, without skin*
- 1 cup shredded cheese, cheddar or a cheddar blend, optional
- Heat the oven to 375 F.
- Lightly butter a shallow 2-quart baking dish.
- In a bowl, combine the condensed soup, water, rice, paprika, and freshly ground black pepper.
- Transfer the rice mixture to the prepared baking dish.
- Place the chicken breast halves on top of rice mixture.
- Sprinkle with additional paprika and black pepper.
- Cover and bake at 375° for 45 minutes, or until chicken is done and rice is tender.
- If desired, sprinkle with cheese and continue baking just until cheese is melted.
*According to the USDA a serving of chicken is 3 to 4 ounces. Chicken breast halves are usually 5 to 8 ounces and sometimes larger. If the chicken breasts are quite large, you may want to use only 2 chicken breast halves; slice them in half horizontally to form four cutlets.
Tips and Variations
- Buttered Bread Crumb Topping: Toss 1 cup of fine soft bread crumbs with 2 tablespoons of melted butter. Sprinkle over the chicken and bake as directed. If desired, omit the cheddar cheese and add a few tablespoons of Parmesan cheese to the bread crumb mixture.
- Add 1 cup of steamed peas and carrots or mixed vegetables to the rice mixture.
Visitor Comments and Suggestions
- "This is a really good recipe! I make a few additions to make it even better. I add about a cup of frozen vegetables, use cream of chicken soup instead of mushroom (personal preference), add about 1/2 cup grated cheese to the top and then sprinkle with about 1/4 cup of bread crumbs. Delicious." Sarah
- "I really don't cook unless I have to and when I do it has to be simple. This one was simple and tasted great. I substituted condensed cheese soup for the cream of mushroom because I don't like mushrooms, and noodles instead of rice, because that is what I had on hand. It was really good, I think next time I will save some of the soup and pour it over the chicken. I can't imagine anything easier. One pan to prepare in, cook, and store the leftovers. great!" Gem
You Might Also Like