This basic 1-week cabbage soup diet recipe is more of a jump-start than a long-term diet, though some stay on it for a few weeks.
It begins with a few days of fruit, vegetables, and the cabbage soup, with little or no protein. Then bananas and skim milk are added. Later in the week, beef and rice are added.
If you have any special health concerns or dietary restrictions or issues, you should speak to your healthcare professional first.
The basic cabbage soup is delicious, by the way, whether you follow the diet or not!
- 6 large green onions (1 bunch)
- 2 green bell peppers
- 1 or 2 cans of tomatoes (14.5-ounce size, diced or whole)
- 1 bunch celery, sliced
- 1/2 head cabbage, chopped
- 1 package (Lipton) onion soup mix
- 1 or 2 cubes bouillon (optional)
- 1 48-ounce can V8 juice, or 6 cups water or light chicken or vegetable broth
- Season to taste with salt, pepper, parsley, curry, garlic powder, etc.*
- Simmer or slow cook* all until soup is done.
*If slow cooking, add seasonings about an hour before done. Eat all the soup you want, whenever you want.
Here is the basic diet plan:
First Day - All fruit is okay, except bananas; soup
Day 2 - Any and all vegetables, baked potato with butter for dinner; soup
Day 3 - Combine Day 1 and 2, without potato; soup
Day 4 - Up to six bananas, all the skim milk you want; soup
Day 5 - 10 to 20 ounces of beef, a can of tomatoes, 6 to 8 glasses of water; soup
Day 6 - All the beef and vegetables you want; soup
Day 7 - Brown rice, unsweetened fruit juices, and vegetables; soup
Note: No bread, alcohol, or carbonated beverages - not even diet soda!
You Might Also Like