The meatloaf has been around for a very long time. I have a recipe from a 1936 General Electric Kitchen Institute cookbook, The New Art of Modern Cookery. It's a ground beef and veal combination with an egg, bread crumbs, and bacon strips for topping.
Dry onion soup mix and ketchup flavor this version of the simple everyday meatloaf recipe. It's a classic, popular meatloaf, great with potatoes and green beans or steamed broccoli.
The leftovers make delicious sandwiches!
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 packet dry onion soup mix
- 1 1/2 cups bread crumbs
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- Heat the oven to 350° F (180° C/Gas 4).
- In a large bowl combine the eggs, ketchup, water, and soup mix; mix well. Add the bread crumbs and beef; mix well.
- Shape into loaf and place in a shallow, foil-lined pan, loaf pan, or meatloaf pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
You Might Also Like