The meatloaf has been around for a very long time. This is a recipe from a 1936 General Electric Kitchen Institute cookbook, The New Art of Modern Cookery. It's a ground beef and veal combination with an egg, breadcrumbs, and bacon strips for topping.
Dry onion soup mix and ketchup flavor this version of the simple everyday meatloaf recipe. It's a classic, popular meatloaf, great with potatoes and green beans or steamed broccoli.
The leftovers make delicious sandwiches!
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 packet dry onion soup mix
- 1 1/2 cups breadcrumbs
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- Heat the oven to 350 F (180 C/Gas 4).
- In a large bowl combine the eggs, ketchup, water, and soup mix; mix well. Add the bread crumbs and beef; mix well.
- Shape into loaf and place in a shallow, foil-lined pan, loaf pan, or meatloaf pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 1 hour and 15 minutes.