Did you love the flavor of creamsicles when you were growing up? You can make your own homemade ice pops with a beautiful orange and cream flavor that will remind you of how great they are. Although this orange and cream popsicle recipe doesn’t have the two layers that make creamsicles so delicious, it uses a combination of fruit juice and yogurt to capture the spirit.
Making these homemade orange and cream popsicles is about as easy as it can be. All you need is two ingredients, and maybe a little sugar to balance out the flavor. It only takes a minute to blend the juice and pop them into the freezer. Then, you will have a high-protein ice pop on hand that you can feel good about serving to your family.
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 cup nonfat vanilla Greek yogurt
- Optional: 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- Place the orange juice and yogurt in the blender.
- Pulse until completely mixed.
- Add in the sugar, if desired. If your oranges are a little on the tart side, you may want to add it.
- Pour the orange and cream mixture into your favorite popsicle molds.
- Freeze for 2 to 3 hours, until the popsicles are completely solid.
- Run hot water over the mold to release the popsicles. Serve and enjoy.
More Recipe Tips
- You can use just about any juice that you love in this recipe. With juices that are a little less sweet, you may want to substitute some of the Greek yogurt for milk.
- Greek yogurt works wonderfully because it is a little tangy and pairs well with sweet fruits. Plus, the extra protein adds a healthy twist. If you don’t like Greek yogurt, or don’t have it on hand, any regular vanilla yogurt will do. You can also start to get creative and play with different flavored yogurts to switch up the taste.
- Fresh squeezed orange juice is a great choice for this recipe. However, if you don’t want to go this route, try to choose an orange juice brand that is not from concentrate. There are many store-bought orange juices that keep the same bright flavor of fresh citrus. You can also add a tablespoon or two of fresh lemon juice if the OJ you have on hand is too sweet.
- To punch up the orange flavor, add a little finely grated orange zest. The peel of the orange contains tons of essential oils and orange flavor, so mixing in a teaspoon or so of zest will bring much more citrus power to your orange and cream popsicles.
- Have fun! Making any homemade desserts should be fun, but popsicles are one of those things that you should feel free to experiment and play with. You really can't mess them up.