This tasty orange frosting is delicious on vanilla or chocolate cupcakes or spread it on spiced cupcake or cake. Use it to frost a carrot cake or pumpkin cake. The frosting is pictured on my butternut squash cupcakes.
This recipe makes about 2 1/2 cups of frosting, enough for a 2-layer cake or about 24 cupcakes.
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) unsalted butter (softened)
- 3 to 3 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons orange extract
- 1 tablespoon orange zest (finely grated)
- 3 to 4 tablespoons orange juice (fresh)
- Optional: orange food coloring
- In a mixing bowl with an electric mixer, combine the butter, 3 cups of confectioners' sugar, and vanilla and orange extracts until blended.
- Add the orange zest and 3 tablespoons of fresh orange juice. Beat until smooth and creamy.
- Add more confectioners' sugar or orange juice, as needed for spreading or piping consistency.
- Beat in a few drops of orange food coloring, if desired.
Makes about 2 1/2 cups of frosting, enough for at least 24 cupcakes and a two layer cake.