- 4 cups flour (stir or sift before measuring)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange peel
- 2 cups butter
- Mix flour, salt, sugar, and orange peel. Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. With your hands, work the dough until it holds together; refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 350° F.
- Roll the dough 1/2-inch thick between sheets of wax paper; cut out with floured cutters.
- Place on ungreased cookie sheets and bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes.
- Drizzle shortbread with chocolate glaze or icing, if desired.
Makes about 30 to 36 cookies.
You Might Also Like