01 of 07
Traditional Origami Basket Instructions
Learn how to make a useful origami basket, great as an Easter craft or any time of year! This origami basket with a handle is easy to make and a great kids activity.
This is the traditional origami easter basket, with one square sheet for the handle and one for the box itself.
I used paper that was 20 x 20 cm. If you use paper that has two different colors on each side, you will be able to see it on the side.Continue to 2 of 7 below.
02 of 07
Origami Basket Tutorial - Handle
1. Starting white side up if you have one, fold the paper in half, left to right and unfold.
2. Fold the left and right edges to the middle.
3. Again, Fold the left and right edges to the middle.
4. Fold the left over to the right.
5. Fold the handle in half, don't make this fold to harsh, as the handle needs to be rounded at the end.Continue to 3 of 7 below.
03 of 07
Origami Basket Tutorial - Step 1
1. Using the same size paper as for the handle, start white side up and fold the paper in half diagonally in both directions.
2. Flip the paper over to the other side, and fold as shown.
3. Bring the left and right corners in and down to the bottom, squashing the top down too.
4. This is the origami Square Base, rotate it so the open end is at the top.Continue to 4 of 7 below.
04 of 07
Origami Basket Tutorial - Step 2
5. Fold the top down to the bottom
6. Now fold the flap up to the center.
Repeat on the back.
7. Insert the handle.
8. Fold the flap up to the center, and the handle inside as well.
Repeat on the back.Continue to 5 of 7 below.
05 of 07
Origami Basket Tutorial - Step 3
9. Open the right side up a bit.
10. Fold the right corner inside, lining it up to the middle.
11. Fold the back to match.
12. Repeat on the other side.Continue to 6 of 7 below.
06 of 07
Origami Basket Tutorial - Step 4
13. Open out the right side and fold the flap down to the bottom.
14. Refold back to the front.
15. Repeat on the left side.
16. Fold the bottom point up as shown. Then unfold.Continue to 7 of 7 below.
07 of 07
Origami Basket Tutorial - Step 5
17. Open out the basket.
18. Round the handle.
19. You can leave the flaps on the outside, or fold them inside the box.
20. You can now straighten out the basket.
Remember that origami can take practice, make another one and it will be better than the first one!
For more tutorials and also video instructions, I run a channel called Paper Kawaii on YouTube, also check out some of my websites below.