The trick to these low calorie oven baked fries is a hot, hot oven! You might have thought that you had to give up on french fries when you decided to try and eat a little healthier. After all, dropping slices of starchy white potatoes into oodles of piping hot grease is a red flag, and most of us know that by now. But these baked oven fries take the comfort and great taste of regular french fries and makes them not quite so unhealthy. Yes, white potatoes are of course still used. But, sometimes, what's so wrong with a little potato? They are still a vegetable and offer some key nutrients such as vitamin A and dietary fiber. Don't go overboard, and a bit of potato is just fine.
These fries aren't dumped in a pot of boiling oil, but are rather lightly coated with olive oil and dusted with a bit of salt. The result will satisfy your craving for french fries without all the fat and calories that come with those regular restaurant french fries.
Try making up a batch of these tasty fries and serving them up alongside a healthy, hot sandwich for a meal that feels indulgent, but is easy on the waistline! Include a crisp green salad on the side of your meal for a real rounded complete meal.
- 1 lb russet potatoes
- 4 cups water
- 1 1/2 tsp salt, divided
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Make sure that the oven reaches its full temperature before putting the oven fries in to bake. A hot oven is one of the keys to making them crisp and delicious.
- Peel the potatoes, and slice them into 1/2-inch strips.
- In a large bowl, combine the water with 1 teaspoon of the salt and the sugar. Drop the potato slices into the water solution, and soak for 5 minutes. This will help to draw some of the moisture out of the potatoes so that they can bake up a little more crisp. Drain, and pat the potatoes dry with a towel.
- In a large bowl, toss the potatoes together with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt and the olive oil and toss to coat the potatoes evenly. Spread the potato slices in a single layer on a large baking sheet coated with non-stick cooking spray.
- Bake at 425°F for 25 minutes. Turn the fries over with a spatula, and raise the oven temperature to 500°F. Bake an additional 10 minutes, until the fries are crisp and golden.