This corned beef and cabbage meal is cooked in the oven along with carrots, onions, and potatoes. The vegetables are added to the brisket about 30 minutes before it's done. It's a very easy recipe to fix and cook.
Gussy it up with fresh chopped parsley or some chopped chives.
- 1 cured corned beef brisket, about 4 pounds
- 1 medium to large head of cabbage
- 4 medium carrots
- 2 medium onions or about 1 cup of small pearl onions or cippolini
- 6 to 8 medium to large red potatoes
- fresh chopped parsley, optional
- Place meat on a rack in a large oven-safe Dutch oven; add 1 cup water. Cover the pot and bake at 325 degrees F (165 degrees C/Gas 3) for 2 1/2 hours.
- Cut the cabbage into 6 wedges, taking care to have part of the core in each wedge to keep them together. Peel the carrots and slice in half lengthwise and then slice crosswise into 2 1/2- to 3-inch lengths. Peel the potatoes and slice into large chunks. Peel the onions; leave them whole if they are quite small. For larger onions, cut them in half or quarters, depending on size.
- Arrange the vegetables around the brisket and then add another 1/2 cup of water. Cover and bake for another 30 to 40 minutes, or until vegetables are fork-tender.
- Remove the brisket to a platter and surround it with the vegetables. Sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley, if desired.
Tips and Variations
- Add 1 rutabaga, peeled and cut into chunks, or about 4 to 6 small peeled turnips.
- Add 4 peeled parsnips to the vegetables.
- Use a leaner corned beef round (eye of round). It isn't as tender, but it's leaner and excellent for slicing (pictured).
More Corned Beef Recipes