Working with clay is a really great way to craft and be creative. You can mold and shape clay into almost anything. And it's even more fun when you make the clay from scratch. Here are instructions for making clay using flour, salt, and water. It's such a simple recipe, you'll be crafting with clay in no time!
How to Make Your Own Clay
- 2 Cups Flour
- 1 Cup Salt
- 2 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 3/4 - 1 Cup Water
Mix together flour and salt. Add the oil and then slowly add the water and stir until you get a nice clay consistency. Once completely mixed, make into the desired shapes. Bake in a 250-degree oven for approximately 1 hour. This will vary depending on how thick you creations are. One hint, do not make shapes too thick or they will crack with baking.
The star shown here was made using this recipe. Before it was put in the oven, I made a hole for the ribbon using the end of a straw. Once the star was out of the oven and cooled, I painted it with yellow paint and then glue. The glitter was then sprinkled on generously! once the ribbon was in place this made a fun necklace!
From Ian: Here is a similar recipe using 4 Cups of Flour, 1 cup of Salt, and 1 1/2 Cups of Water. Your creations can be baked at 300 degrees for about an hour. For a golden appearance, paint your creations with egg yolk before you put it in the oven.
Projects to make with homemade clay:
- Hanging Clay Hearts - shape your clay into hearts with cookie cutters. You can also stamp cute little stamps into each heart for a fun texture.
- Clay Planter Containers - mold your clay into large square or circle containers and then dry. Add your plant to them for a beautiful home decor piece.
- Make Clay Bowls - with clay, you can mold it into a bowl shape simply by pressing it or you can mold it into an existing bowl to form the shape. Then bake it with the instructions above for a lovely bowl.
- Clay Bead Necklace - form small balls of clay into round beads, with a toothpick pressed through the center for a hole, threading yarn or floss through.
- Cute Clay Creatures - kids can form their clay into cute little creatures, and use craft paint to make them come to life!