Working with clay is a really great way to make crafts and be creative. You can mold and shape clay into almost anything and it's, even more, fun when you make the clay from scratch. As clay can be expensive this low-cost alternative will help you be crafty on a budget. These instructions will teach you to make clay using ingredients you likely already have in your pantry. It's such a simple recipe, you'll be crafting with clay in no time!
As long as you can tolerate gluten this clay is safe to eat, it probably just won't taste very good. It's a great way to get children into crafts without having to worry about little ones tasting their art.
How to Make Your Own Clay
- Two cups flour
- One cup salt
- Two Tbsp vegetable oil
- 3/4 to one cup water
In a large bowl mix together flour and salt. Add the oil and then slowly add the water and stir until you get a nice clay consistency. Once completely mixed, make into the desired shapes. Bake in a 250-degree oven for approximately one hour. This will vary depending on how thick you creations are. You want to bake it long enough for the clay to harden but not start to burn.
Tips for Working with Homemade Clay
It's important that you do not make your clay projects too thick or they will crack when baked. Try using cookie cutters to help make more precise shapes. If you want your clay to have a golden appearance, paint your pottery with egg yolk before placing in the oven.
After baking, you can always use acrylic paint on your projects.
Projects to Make with Homemade Clay
- Hanging Clay Hearts shape your clay into hearts with cookie cutters. You can also stamp cute little stamps into each heart for a fun texture.
- Clay Planter Containers mold your clay into a large square or circle containers and then dry. Add your plant to them for a beautiful home decor piece.
- Make Clay Bowls with clay, you can mold it into a bowl shape simply by pressing it or you can mold it into an existing bowl to form the shape. Then bake it with the instructions above for a lovely bowl.
- Clay Bead Necklace form small balls of clay into round beads, with a toothpick pressed through the center for a hole, threading yarn or floss through.
- Cute Clay Creatures kids can form their clay into cute little creatures, and use craft paint to make them come to life!