These simple pork chops are seared then roasted to perfection in the oven. The chops take just 15 minutes to prepare and cook. Serve them with potatoes and a side vegetable for a tasty everyday meal. I prefer bone-in chops for the best flavor, but you could use boneless in this recipe as well.
- 4 bone-in pork chops, about 3/4-inch thickness
- Olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Garlic powder, optional
- Ground thyme, optional
- Heat the oven to 375 F. Put a lightly oiled 12-inch cast iron skillet* over medium-high heat.
- Rub the pork chops with olive oil, then sprinkle all over with salt and freshly ground black pepper. If desired, sprinkle with a little garlic powder and/or ground thyme.
- Sear the chops in the hot skillet for about 3 minutes on each side.
- Transfer the skillet with the pork chops to the oven and roast for about 5 to 8 minutes, depending on thickness.
- The pork chops should register at least 145 F on an instant-read thermometer in the thickest part of the meat.
*If you don't have a cast iron skillet, sear the chops in a skillet then move to a baking dish (if the skillet is not oven safe to 375 F) to finish roasting.