OxiClean Carpet & Area Rug Stain Remover, made by Orange Glo International, is said to "use the power of oxygen" to get out tough stains quickly and easily. It is widely available from retailers and online vendors, and like a wide variety of products made by the company, it uses simple chemistry to dissolve and remove stains.
- Sodium percarbonate: Sodium percarbonate is a white, crystalline-like powder found in many industrial cleaning products. It consists of sodium carbonate and hydrogen peroxide. Sodium percarbonate is a fairly "green" and environmentally-friendly substance since it breaks down into natural elements.
- Soda ash: Also called sodium carbonate, soda ash has been used as a cleaner for many decades. It is a byproduct of wood ashes, and can also be produced from common table salt. It is very effective at removing grease, oil, and alcohol stains. It is also very kind to the environment.
- Detergents: Detergents in the product serve to carry away dirt once it has been loosened by other ingredients.
- Water: Water forms a liquid to penetrate cloth and allows the active ingredients to do their work.
OxiClean is most effective on organic stains—foods, juices, blood—but it will also work on inorganic stains like ink. For particularly stubborn stains it is best used in conjunction with another carpet stain remover product.
How to Use OxiClean Stain Remover on Carpets
OxiClean's product is generally quite effective at removing stains from your carpet, provided you apply it correctly by following the recommended steps.
- Before using, find a hidden area of your carpet to test colorfastness. To avoid damage, do not use on fabrics such as leather, silk, or wool.
- Quickly treating stains will give the best results. Thus, promptly remove the stain residue from carpet promptly and blot until you remove any excess moisture.
- Next saturate the carpet by spraying the product generously onto it, allowing it to soak in fully.
- After about 10 minutes, the product will penetrate the area and you can blot the stained area again with a clean and colorfast cloth or sponge.
- Finally, dry the stain and repeat previous steps three and four if the stain has not been completely eliminated.
- After the product has completely dried, you are free to vacuum the area.
In user tests, OxiClean Carpet & Area Rug Stain Remover very effectively causes stains to bubble up and disappear when they are treated shortly after they occur. However, tough, older stains may need more applications for complete removal.
OxiClean Carpet also helps remove odors associated with stains, not simply masking the odors, it gets rid of them.
In some uses, some users have reported that OxiClean made their carpet too clean and made the treated spots stand out brightly against the rest of the carpeting. In these cases, it may be wise to combine the use of OxiClean with an overall cleaning of the entire carpet with a cleaning machine.
OxiClean is an unusually safe product for the environment. The components break down into harmless compounds like water and soda ash (plant ash) when flushed down the sink. And because OxiClean contains no chlorine, it is fairly gentle on fabrics and skin.