Layers of fresh sliced sweetened strawberries make these pancakes extra-special. What better way to enjoy a weekend morning than with a plate of pancakes layered with fresh, juicy strawberries? Strawberries are available all year round, but it's also a wonderful way to enjoy fresh spring and summer berries.
The pancakes are made with a basic formula, and the macerated strawberries are simply made with sliced strawberries and granulated sugar. For a grown-up brunch or breakfast, add a tablespoon of Grand Marnier or Cointreau. Or add a few tablespoons of lemon juice or orange juice and reduce the sugar slightly for tart citrus flavor.
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups to 1 2/3 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine the strawberries with 3 tablespoons of sugar in a bowl. Gently mix and set aside for at least 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. The strawberries will make their own juice
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, 2 tablespoons sugar, and salt; stir to blend.
- In another bowl, whisk eggs with 1 1/2 cups of milk. Stir into the flour mixture along with the melted butter and vanilla. Add a little more milk if the batter is too thick. Stir just until smooth and well blended.
- Using about 1/4 cup of batter for each pancake, cook on a hot, greased griddle. Cook until bubbly and lightly browned on the bottom; flip over with a spatula and brown the other side.
- Layer the pancakes with the sliced strawberries and serve them with your favorite syrup.
- To keep subsequent batches of pancakes warm, heat the oven to 200 F. Place pancakes on a platter or baking pan in the preheated oven and cover loosely with foil while you make the remaining pancakes.
- After 30 to 45 minutes, cover the strawberries and refrigerate until serving time.
- Orange Pancakes: To the dry ingredients, add 1 teaspoon of finely grated orange zest and 1/4 cup of orange juice. Reduce the milk by about 1/4 cup.
- Fluffy Pancakes: Separate the eggs. Make the batter with the egg yolks. Beat the egg whites to stiff peaks and then fold them into the pancake batter until blended.
- Add 2 tablespoons of Cointreau or Grand Marnier to the strawberries and reduce the sugar to 2 tablespoons.
- Add 2 tablespoons of fresh orange juice or lemon juice to the sliced strawberries and reduce the sugar to 2 tablespoons.
- Make the sauce with 1 cup of sliced strawberries and 1 cup of fresh blueberries. Add 1/4 cup of granulated sugar and let stand for 45 minutes.
- Add sliced bananas to the layers with the strawberries.
You Might Also Like