This peach pie is made with a sweet cream filling and fresh sliced peaches. The peaches are arranged in a partially baked pie crust and then a rich sweetened cream mixture is poured over the peaches. Nectarines may be used for this pie as well.
I've included a homemade pie crust recipe, but feel free to use your favorite pie crust recipe or use refrigerated pastry or frozen crust and follow the package directions for partially baking.
- Pastry for Crust: (or use refrigerated pastry or frozen 9-inch crust, partially baked)
- 1 1/3 cups flour (all-purpose)
- 1 tablespoon sugar (granulated)
- 1/2 (scant) teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons chilled butter (or shortening, cut into small pieces)
- 3 to 6 tablespoons ice-cold water
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup sugar (granulated)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 6 to 8 medium ripe peaches (peeled, pitted, cut into quarters or eighths)
- Put the 1 1/3 cups of flour, 1 tablespoon of sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt in the bowl of a food processor and pulse several times to blend thoroughly.
- Sprinkle the pieces of butter or shortening over the flour. Pulse about 6 times in one-second bursts. The mixture should resemble coarse crumbs with some visible pieces about the size of small peas.
- Sprinkle 4 tablespoons of ice water over the flour mixture and then put the lid back on and pulse about 8 to 10 times.
- The dough should clump with squeezed in your hand. If it is still crumbling, sprinkle with more ice water, about 2 teaspoons at a time, and pulse a few more times. Repeat until the dough clumps together when squeezed.
- Dump the dough out onto a floured surface and knead a few times. Shape it into a flat disk, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 450 F.
- Roll the dough into an 11- to 12-inch circle. Fit the dough into a 9-inch pie plate and flute the edges. Press a sheet of foil or parchment paper over the bottom and up the sides of the crust. Fill with pie weights or dry beans and bake for about 10 minutes, or until it just begins to color.
- Remove the pie crust from the oven and remove the pie weights and foil or paper.
- In a bowl, combine 4 tablespoons of flour and 1 cup of granulated sugar; blend well. Add cream, 1/8 teaspoon of salt, almond extract, and nutmeg; beat to blend well.
- Arrange peach slices in 1 layer in the partially baked crust, so they are resting spoon fashioned, close together. Fill any spaces with more peach slices. Pour the cream filling over the peaches.
- Return pie to hot oven (450 F) and bake for 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350 F and bake for 35 to 45 minutes longer, or until peaches are cooked and filling is just set. As soon as filling is not jiggly, remove it to a rack to cool.
- If the crust edge browns before the filling is fully cooked, cover it with a foil ring or pie shield.
You Might Also Like