Upside-down cakes are fun and easy to make, and they make their own topping -- no frosting required! This peach upside-down cake is a nice change of pace from the classic pineapple upside-down cake or apple versions. Or try this peach coconut upside-down cake.
This simple peach upside down cake is made with canned peaches, but fresh or frozen peaches may be used as well.
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 cups sliced drained peaches
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup hot water or peach nectar
1. Heat the oven to 375° F (190° C/Gas 5).
2. Melt butter in a 9-inch square baking pan. Sprinkle brown sugar over the butter. Spoon the drained peaches over the brown sugar.
3. In a mixing bowl beat the eggs with an electric mixer until light and lemon colored, about 5 minutes. Gradually beat in granulated sugar.
4. Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Add the flour mixture to the egg and sugar mixture, alternating with the hot water.
5. Pour batter over peaches.
6. Bake for about 30 minutes.
7. Cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn upside-down onto a serving plate.