Be careful, this fudge is highly addictive! Feel free to add walnuts to penuche instead of the pecans, or make it with no nuts at all.
- Spray a 9-inch square pan with nonstick baking spray or lightly grease. Line the pan with plastic wrap; set aside.
- Sift the powdered sugar into a bowl and set aside.
- In a heavy medium saucepan, combine the evaporated milk, brown sugar, butter, and salt. Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring frequently, until the mixture registers 236 F on a candy thermometer (about 25 to 30 minutes), or until the candy reaches the soft ball stage.
- Pour into a heatproof bowl or the bowl of a heavy-duty electric mixer. Beat in the powdered sugar, a little at a time, then scrape the sides of the bowl and continue beating until the mixture is thickened and smooth. Slowly beat in vanilla and chopped nuts, if using.
- Spread in the prepared pan. Refrigerate for about 20 minutes, or until firm.
- Turn out of the pan and peel off plastic. Cut into small squares.
You Might Also Like