Cracked black pepper, fresh garlic, and Cajun seasoning flavor this lean eye of round beef roast. If you have some flavored olive oil, this is an excellent use for it. I had some spicy Harissa infused olive oil, which added some extra spiciness to the roast.
The beef is roasted for a short time at a high temperature, then it is left in the closed oven to finish cooking.
- 1 eye of round roast, about 3 to 3 1/2 pounds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper or coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Cajun style seasoning
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Line a roasting or baking pan with foil.
Put the roast in the lined baking pan, fattiest side up (if there is a layer of fat on the roast - it is usually quite lean).
Combine the remaining ingredients in a small bowl and blend thoroughly. Rub the roast all over with the mixture.
Let the roast stand at room temperature for 20 to 30 minutes or refrigerate for 1 to 3 hours. If refrigerating, take it out about 20 to 30 minutes before roasting to bring it up to room temperature.
Heat the oven to 500° F (260° C/Gas 10).
Roast for 6 minutes per pound for medium. My roast was 2 1/2 pounds, so I roasted it for 15 minutes. For rare, roast for 5 minutes per pound. For well-done, 7 minutes per pound.
Turn the oven off (do not open the oven door) and leave the roast for 2 hours.
Beef Temperature Chart
- Rare120 F - 125 F (48.9 C to 51.6 C)
- Medium-rare130 F - 135 F (54.4 C to 57.2 C)
- Medium140 F - 145 F (60 C to 62.8 C)
- Medium-well150 F - 155 F (65.5 C to 68.3 C)
- Well done160 F (71.1 C) and above
You Might Also Like