Edited by Liv Wan
This pepper steak can serve up to 4 people and this recipe combined with vegetables provides all the protein you need along with lots of nutrition. The former Chinese food expert wrote about pouring gravy over the rice but if you’re not a big fan of gravy, substitute 1 or 2 sliced fresh tomatoes for stewed tomatoes, add them to the pan with soy sauce and make a broth mixture.
For this recipe, you can use any kind of coloured bell pepper. You can also use sirloin, rump, fillet or any other kind of steak you want.
- 1 ¼ - ½ pounds sirloin steak
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 bell peppers (I prefer to use different colour peppers to make this dish look more interesting and colourful, which is good for your appetite)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, smashed, peeled and chopped in half
- 1 14-ounces can baby corn or fresh baby corn
- ¼ cup light soy sauce
- ¾ cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 ½ tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons oil or margarine for frying
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 cup stewed tomatoes
- Salt and ground pepper to taste
- Partially freeze the steak for 15-20 minutes (this will make it easier to cut). Cut the steak into thin strips.
- Wipe the mushrooms with a damp cloth and cut into slices to make 1 cup.
- Remove the stems and seeds from the bell peppers and cut into thin strips.
- Peel and chop the onion and garlic clove.
- Drain the can of baby corn and soak in cold water for 15-20 minutes then rinse under cold water. If you use fresh baby corn then just wash with cold water and drain.
- Combine the soy sauce with the beef broth. Set aside.
- Combine the cornstarch with the water and set aside.
- Heat up 2 tablespoons of oil or margarine a large skillet or frying pan with medium high heat. Brown the meat, turning over once.
- Turn the heat down to medium. Push the meat to the side and add the onion and garlic to the frying pan.
- Add the mushrooms and the baby corn. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add the soy sauce and beef broth. Stir in the sugar. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat, cover and simmer until the meat is tender (this will take around 25-30 minutes).
- Add the peppers and stewed tomatoes. Cover and cook for another 5-10 minutes.
- Bring to a boil and stir in the cornstarch and water mixture. Cook, stirring constantly for 4-5 minutes until the food is thick and bubbling. Taste and add salt and pepper if desired. Serve over cooked rice.
- If you like this recipe then you might like the other dish “Chinese Steak With Peppers”- Stir-fried steak with barbecue sauce and Worcestershire sauce.
Nutritional Breakdown (based on 4 servings, using 1 ¼ pounds sirloin steak and low sodium beef broth):
Each serving contains: Calories 457, 22g Carbohydrates, 34g protein, 25 g Total Fat, 92g Satruated Fat, 11g Monounsaturated Fat, 3 g Polyunsaturated Fat, 89mg Cholesterol, 2g Fibre, 851mg Sodium, 830mg Potassium, 67mg Vitamin C.