The Peppermint Patty is a popular creamy mint-chocolate shot that can be made in a variety of ways. The goal with each recipe is to replicate that satisfying flavor of peppermint patty candies, which are delicious and tempting on their own. When we convert that into a shot glass, it is equally tasty and maybe just a little too much!
This popular shooter is a hit at any party and there are three elements you need to make it: chocolate, mint and cream. Whether you use peppermint schnapps or creme de menthe, creme de cacao or chocolate vodka, or simply want to mix it up in your own mouth, there are plenty of options available.
If you like the flavor combination (and, really, who doesn't?), there are other ways to make a Peppermint Patty. You might want to try one of the slow and refreshing Peppermint Patty lowball recipes or warm things up for a Hot Peppermint Patty. No matter which way you take it, this is a great tasting drink!
A Peppermint Patty Shot With Chocolate Syrup
It's really not a recipe, but it is a lot of fun! In this version of the Peppermint Patty, you will fill your mouth with chocolate syrup (that's right, exactly like you were told not to as a kid) and take a shot of schnapps.
The trick is to shake your head as fast as you can to mix up the flavors before downing.
It's sort of like a boozy mouthwash and similar to the way you might take a Cement Mixer (this one tastes better, I promise). Just be careful to not fall off your chair!
- 1 shot of chilled peppermint schnapps
- Chocolate syrup
How to Take the Shot:
- Fill a shot glass with chilled schnapps.
- Squirt chocolate syrup straight from the bottle into your mouth. Don't swallow!
- Take the shot of schnapps and shake your head to mix things up before swallowing.
- Enjoy the cool, chocolate taste of a Peppermint Patty in your mouth.
A Peppermint Patty Shot With Chocolate Vodka
Returning to an actual mixed drink, this Peppermint Patty is my way of incorporating chocolate vodka into this tasty mint-chocolate combination. It's delicious, creamy and packs a great punch.
Baileys may be your Irish cream of choice. When it comes to the vodka, I really like Van Gogh Dutch Chocolate or Pinnacle Chocolate Whipped. Then again, I've really not found a chocolate vodka that's bad, so if you see it, pick it up!
- 1/2 ounce Irish cream
- 1/2 ounce peppermint schnapps
- 1 ounce chocolate vodka
- Pour the ingredients into a cocktail shaker filled with ice.
- Shake well.
- Strain into a shot glass.
How Strong Are These Peppermint Patty Shots?
The strength of the peppermint schnapps that you choose is going to determine how strong your Peppermint Patty shots are when mixed.
This liqueur can range anywhere from 15-50% ABV (30-100 proof). It's always wise to look at the proof of the bottle you're buying in order to avoid a surprise while drinking it.
Tip: Rumple Minze is the most popular 100-proof peppermint schnapps.
Let's look at how each of these three recipes stacks up at both extremes:
- With creme de cacao and 30-proof schnapps - 8% ABV (16 proof)
- With creme de cacao and 100-proof schnapps - 15% ABV (30 proof)
- Mouth-shaken with 30-proof schnapps - 15% ABV (30 proof)
- Mouth-shaken with 100-proof schnapps - 50% ABV (100 proof)
- With 80-proof chocolate vodka and 30-proof schnapps - 24% ABV (48 proof)
- With 80-proof chocolate vodka and 30-proof schnapps - 29% ABV (58 proof)
Remember that the version that is shaken in your mouth has no dilution from ice, so you are essentially taking a straight shot of schnapps laced with chocolate.