This vanilla French toast recipe is wonderful with thicker slices of bread, such as "Texas Toast." Or, use a brioche bread or challah.
Serve this French toast with fresh fruit or berries and sausages or bacon for a full, hearty breakfast. Sprinkle with some ground cinnamon or cinnamon sugar, or drizzle with maple syrup or golden cane syrup.
This would be delicious with vanilla bean paste, as well, or add a little cinnamon to the egg mixture.
- 3 large eggs
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 to 3 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Pinch of salt
- 6 to 8 slices bread
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla, and salt.
- Dip bread slices in the mixture, turning to coat both sides.
- Grease a griddle or skillet or spray with nonstick cooking spray; heat over medium heat.
- Cook the French toast slices for about 3 to 4 minutes on each side, or until nicely browned.
- Serve this French toast with butter and maple syrup, cane syrup, or a fruit syrup.
Tips and Variations
- Challah, brioche, French bread, and Italian bread are excellent for French toast.
- Raisin bread, cinnamon bread, and other flavored bread are good choices as well.
- For lighter French toast, us 1/4 cup of egg substitute for each whole egg, or replace one or all of the eggs with 3 egg whites per egg.
- Replace half of the milk with pure maple syrup.