Lots of cheddar cheese inside and on top make this a delicious, creamy macaroni and cheese. Serve this casserole as a main dish with a salad or serve it as a side dish.
- 8 ounces macaroni
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup half-and-half or light cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard or a spicy brown mustard
- 2 1/2 to 3 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs, tossed with 1 1/2 tablespoons melted butter
- Heat oven to 375 F. Grease a 2-quart baking dish.
- Cook macaroni in boiling salted water following package directions. Drain in a colander and rinse with hot water.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Stir in flour until smooth and bubbly. Continue cooking and stirring for 1 minute.
- Add the salt, pepper, cream, and milk and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened.
- Add mustard and 2 cups of the cheese. Continue cooking, stirring, until cheese is melted.
- Combine the sauce mixture with the drained macaroni.
- Spoon into the prepared baking dish and top with the remaining 1/2 to 1 cup of shredded cheese.
- Scatter the buttered bread crumbs evenly over the cheese layer.
- Bake for about 25 minutes, until lightly browned and bubbly.
Serves 4 to 6.
More Macaroni and Cheese Recipes
Classic Baked Macaroni and Cheese
Family-Favorite Macaroni and Cheese
Simple Macaroni and Cheese
Slow Cooker Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
Andouille Mac 'n Cheese
Macaroni and Cheese with Bacon
Baked Macaroni and Cheese
Quick and Easy Nacho Macaroni and Cheese
Macaroni and Cheese Bake
Macaroni and Cheese With Sausage
Macaroni and Cheese Recipes
22 Delicious Macaroni and Cheese Recipes