The triple sandwich (el "treep-lay") is an institution in Peru. Delicious fresh avocados are plentiful there, and this sandwich has an extra layer of bread and mayonnaise to showcase them. There's a layer of chicken or egg salad (or sometimes both), and a layer of sliced tomatoes rounds things off. Try your own combinations.
Triples are always prepared with tender white sandwich bread (pan de miga), and are sometimes cut into finger food size portions.
- Slice the avocados as thinly as possible and sprinkle with lime juice. Sprinkle the tomato slices with salt and pepper. Trim crusts from bread.
- For each sandwich, start with a slice of bread spread with mayonnaise. Layer avocado slices thinly on top of the bread.
- Spread both sides of another slice of bread with mayonnaise and place on top of the avocado.
- Spread the chicken salad or egg salad (hardboiled eggs mashed with mayonnaise, salt & pepper) on top of the bread, and then add a tomato slice on top of the chicken salad.
- Top with another sliced of bread (spread on one side with mayonnaise).
- Slice the sandwiches into triangles and serve.
Makes 12 sandwich triangles.