- For the Beets:
- 16 baby beets (unpeeled, tops trimmed)
- For the Marinade:
- 2 medium red onions (julienned)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2/3 cup water
Prepare the Beets
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a rolling boil. Add beets, reduce heat, and simmer until tender, 12 to 15 minutes. Drain well.
- When cool enough to handle, slip off the skin. Place beets in a nonreactive bowl and set aside.
Make the Marinade
- In a small saucepan, combine onions, sugar, vinegar, salt, and 2/3 cup water and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Simmer 5 minutes.
Quick Pickle the Beets
- Pour hot marinade over beets, and cool to room temperature.
- Cover the beets well and refrigerate for several hours or overnight before serving.
- Store refrigerated for up to two weeks.