This is a fresh pico de gallo salsa recipe. It's a delicious, chunky salsa that goes with burritos, tacos, or grilled meat, fish, or chicken. Or simply serve the salsa as a dip with tortilla chips.
Use fresh plum tomatoes for the salsa or make it with cherry or grape tomatoes. If you like plenty of heat, add some finely chopped jalapeno or serrano pepper.
Pico de Gallo means "rooster's beak." This salsa is also referred to as salsa fresca.
- 4 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion, sweet or red onion, or green onions
- 2 fresh chile peppers, mild or hot, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped red or yellow bell pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon lime juice,
- Salt and pepper, to taste
In a glass, stainless steel, or pottery bowl — any nonreactive container will work well — combine the chopped tomatoes, onion, chile peppers, bell pepper, cilantro, and lime juice. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
Cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving.
Makes about 2 cups of salsa.
Serve this salsa with your favorite taco filling or spoon it over burritos. It's an excellent salsa to serve with tortilla roll-ups or tortilla chips as well.
You Might Also Like