There is so much to love about the Coco Colada! It has that tropical fruit combination of pineapple and coconut and it is very easy to blend up. Best of all, it's a drink the entire family can enjoy.
- Add ice, pineapple juice and cream of coconut to a blender
- Blend until slushy.
- Pour into a chilled hurricane glass.
- Garnish with an orange slice.
Shake It Up
Just like the Piña Colada , you can skip the blender and shake your Coco Colada. The coconut cream will give it that great creamy texture and the pineapple juice in the recipe above should be more than enough. Serve it over ice and, if you like, top it with a little cream soda or ginger ale.
Coco Colada Smoothie with Fresh Coconut and Pineapple
If you have the desire to make a really fresh Coco Colada, try this smoothie recipe!
You will need to find a young Thai coconut and open it using this tutorial. The surprise inside is fresh coconut water and the sweet, white flesh and both of these elements can be used to create a fresh drink for two.
Note: If you do not have a fresh coconut, substitute about 2 ounces of coconut cream and add more if needed.
Tips for Blending Your Colada
The beauty of using the blender to create drinks and smoothies is that you can make adjustments as you go. If you have blended it and it's not quite the consistency you were hoping, here's how to get it perfect.
- The Mix is Too Thin: If your colada is too thin and watery, you need to add more solids. This could be chunks of fruit or ice.
- The Mix is Too Thick: For drinks that are too thick in the blender, add a small amount of liquid. Choose between your pineapple juice, coconut cream or water.
- To Create a Creamier Colada: You may want less of a slushy and more of a creamy smoothie. In this case, ice cream, milk (plain or coconut) or more cream of coconut should do the trick.
Ways to Enhance Your Coco Colada
The tropical taste of the Coco Colada is a fantastic base for taking the drink as far as your imagination can take you.
Here are a few ideas to get you started...
- Add more fruit to the blender. Banana, mango and strawberry are among the best options for the coconut-pineapple mix.
- Make it a Toasted Coco Colada. Add about 1 tablespoon of caramel syrup to the blender and garnish with toasted coconut.
- Add chocolate ice cream or syrup. Coconut, pineapple and chocolate, it's a tough combination to resist! Add a scoop of chocolate ice cream to the blender and skip the ice. Or, keep the ice and squirt some chocolate syrup into the blender.