This buttery pistachio brittle is an easy preparation. Make it for gifts, or make it for a family treat.
Use a reliable candy thermometer to make this brittle. To test your candy thermometer's accuracy, put it in boiling water for 10 minutes. It should register 212° F (100 Celsius). If it is off by a degree or two, adjust the recipe cooking temperature accordingly.
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 tablespoons butter (salted or unsalted)
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup (or Lyle's Golden Syrup; buy Lyle's Golden Syrup from Amazon)
- 2 cups shelled pistachio nuts, unsalted, not roasted
- Butter a rimmed baking sheet generously, or lay out a large silicone baking mat or sheet of lightly oiled parchment paper.
- Combine the vanilla and baking soda in a small cup or bowl; set aside.
- Combine the butter, water, sugar, and syrup in a deep medium saucepan.
- Attach the candy thermometer so it is in the liquid but not touching the bottom or side of the pan.
- Cook the mixture over medium heat, stirring frequently, until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture reaches 280 F.
- Add the pistachios (the temperature will go down temporarily) and continue cooking, stirring constantly, until the mixture reaches 300 F/138 C.
- Immediately remove the pan from the heat and stir in the reserved baking soda and vanilla mixture. Pour the mixture out onto the buttered baking sheet or silicone baking mat.
- Spread quickly, if necessary and let cool.
- The brittle will set and harden in about 10 to 20 minutes.
- Break the candy up into smaller pieces.
- Store at room temperature in an airtight container, separated by pieces of parchment paper or wax paper.
- The brittle should keep for up to 1 month.
Have the pistachios at room temperature before adding them to the candy mixture.
If the brittle hardens before you can spread it, transfer to a large oiled baking sheet and put it in a 350° F oven for about 5 minutes. Let it cool slightly then continue spreading.
To roll the brittle, cover it with a lightly oiled sheet of parchment paper and roll the candy out with a rolling pin.
Sprinkle with a little flaky sea salt for a salted pistachio brittle.
Makes about 1 1/2 pounds.