The Bottom Line
Now, these are serious units. The Pitt's and Spitt's smokers might be more expensive than many units but the solid construction and fantastic smoking characteristics make them some of the best units on the market. If you are really serious about barbecue this is a great unit. The firebox is mounted under the cooking chamber for efficient heating and the vent controls give you a level of accuracy that you just can't get in most any other smoker.
- Very Heavy Carbon Steel Construction
- Built in water reservoir for moist heat
- Firebox under the smoke chamber for efficient design
- Large cooking space that takes up a small area
- Also works as a grill
- Expensive for the size
- 810 square inches of cooking space
- Large firebox mounted under the smoking chamber so this unit doesn't take up as much space
- 3/16 inch carbon steel and stainless steel construction
- Large fire box with removable coal grate makes cleaning easy
- Handcrafted wood handles
- Heavy, strong construction
- Many available features and customization options
- Made in the United States by Pitts and Spitts
Guide Review - Pitts & Spitts P-C1830 Smoker
Pitt's and Spitt's make some of the best outdoor cooking products on the market. This smoker/grill combo is a really great unit with some innovative design features. Most notably is the under mounted firebox. Not only does this design mean the smoker takes up less space, but by opening the main vent between the firebox and the cooking chamber you can grill at high temperatures.
The materials used to make this unit are designed to handle high temperatures so grilling on this unit doesn't deteriorate its quality as a smoker. This smoker/grill is one of the few in the market that does both well and with 810 square inches of cooking space you can grill or smoke a lot of food.
While the nearly $1,900 price tag might seem a little steep, if you take good care of this unit it will last you for decades. This is something called value. This unit is made from 3/16 inch high temperature painted carbon steel and high quality 304 stainless steel. This gives it a great appearance and durable materials. The construction is so good that the unit doesn't leak airflow, meaning that the only air going in or coming out is through the vents and not around to doors or seams. This gives you a very high level of control and lets you hold precise temperatures.
If you are serious about smoking and want a unit that can also grill this is really a great smoker. And in case you're wondering these guys have been making cooking equipment for more than 25 years.