If you're craving pizza, but want something different, try this pizza-inspired turnover. It is filled with pizza sauce, mozzarella cheese, and chopped pepperoni. Enjoy them as full-size empanadas or scale them down to bite-size empanaditas for parties.
- 3 cups flour (plus a little more for kneading)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 1 15-ounce can of pizza sauce
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (or pizza blend)
- 1 1/2 cups pepperoni (diced or sliced)
- Oil for frying
1. In a bowl, beat the water, egg, egg white and vinegar together. Set aside.
2. In a separate bowl, mix together the 3 cups of flour and salt.
3. Cut the shortening into the flour mix with a pastry blender or two butter knives. Make a well in the center of the flour mix and pour the liquid ingredients from the first bowl into the center.
4. Mix the wet and dry ingredients with a fork until it becomes stiff.
5. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead it just until all the flour is incorporated and the dough is smooth.
6. Wrap the dough in plastic and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, but never more than 24 hours.
7. After 1 hour, place the dough on a floured counter top. Roll it out into 1/8 inch thick. Cut the dough into circles with round cookie cutters or biscuit cutters. For large empanadas use 6-inch cutters for empanaditas use 3-inch cutters.
Tip: If you want to keep the dough longer than 24 hours, you can freeze it.
1. Spread a spoonful of pizza sauce on the circle of dough. Do not go all the way to the edge.
2. Sprinkle a spoonful of shredded cheese onto the pizza sauce.
3. Place a couple slices of pepperoni on top of the cheese.
4. Fold the dough and filling into a half circle shape and crimp the edges with a fork. If the edges won't stay sealed you can dip the fork in water before crimping or use an egg wash.
5. Fry the filled empanadas at 360 degrees for 1 to 2 minutes per side. They should be lightly golden. Drain on paper towels.
Tip: Do not overfill the empanadas. They will tear and you will lose your filling in the oil.