These little appetizer rolls are easily prepared with crescent roll dough, pepperoni, and cheese, along with other finely chopped additions. Serve them with marinara or prepared pizza sauce for dipping. See the tips and variations for a 10-minute homemade marinara sauce recipe.
These pinwheels are excellent for lunches or game days, and they make a tasty tv snack.
- 1 can (8 ounces) crescent roll dough
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pepperoni, about 2 ounces
- 1 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese or a pizza cheese blend
- 2 to 3 tablespoons finely chopped mushrooms or finely chopped bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 1 cup marinara or pizza sauce, for dipping
- Unroll dough and separate into 4 rectangles. Press perforations together.
- Evenly sprinkle pepperoni over the rectangles, then the mushrooms or bell pepper, onion, if using, and shredded cheese.
- Roll a rectangle up tightly, starting with short end.
- Slice the roll into 5 to 6 even slices and place on the baking sheet, leaving a few inches between them. Repeat with the remaining rolls.
- Bake for about 14 to 18 minutes, until nicely browned. Serve with warmed marinara or pizza sauce.
Tips and Variations
- Replace the mushrooms or finely chopped bell pepper with finely chopped ripe olives.
- Quick Marinara Sauce - Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add 3 cloves of minced garlic and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add 3 tablespoons of tomato paste and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute longer. Add one 28-ounce can of crushed tomatoes and 2 teaspoons of dried leaf basil or 2 to 3 tablespoons of fresh chopped basil. Simmer for 8 minutes.
You Might Also Like