Description of Plastic Canvas
Plastic Canvas is a plastic mesh that resembles needlepoint canvas. Many types of needlecrafts use plastic canvas to create designs, including Cross Stitch. Plastic canvas is available in a wide variety of counts ranging from 7 squares per inch and up. It is used for making 3-D type projects or for functional projects such as coasters and other household items.
Why Use Plastic Canvas
- Plastic canvas is durable. It will bend and not break. It lasts a long time which is good for household projects.
- Plastic canvas will not rip, fray or shrink.You will not need to tape off your plastic canvas for projects. Once a project is done, you will not need to worry about it falling apart.
- Plastic canvas can be used to create 3-D projects.This is a great piece of material to make doll houses, sewing boxes, and other fun 3-D projects. You can build up and out with your stitches instead of staying on one surface.
- Plastic canvas is a great medium for many Cross Stitch projects including bookmarks, cards, and ornaments. You can make other household items with this material such as coasters and placemats.
Tips About Stitching on Plastic Canvas
- Use one fewer strand of floss when stitching on plastic canvas. Depending on the size of the plastic canvas you may want to use yarn instead of floss. You will want yarn that is not fuzzy.
- It may be helpful to use a smaller-sized tapestry needle when stitching on plastic canvas. The plastic canvas will not give like fabric will. Usually a plastic needle is the best to use for projects. It is slightly flexible. Make sure you are using a blunt needle.
- Let your needle dangle frequently to avoid knots and over-twisting of the floss.
- Do not carry floss across blank areas of the plastic canvas.
- Use the loop method to start stitches.
Plastic canvas is a great way to teach kids how to stitch. The holes are big and the projects can be simple. A great project for them would be ornaments for a tree.
Below are a few projects using canvas plastic and places where you can purchase materials.
Cross Stitch Projects Using Plastic Canvas
Transform a CD with Cross Stitch
Make a Cross Stitch Pin