Breaded and fried pork cutlets, known as kotlety schabowy (kawt-LEH-tih Sah-BAW-vih) are very popular at Polish tables. Boneless center-cut pork chops or pork tenderloin that are pounded thinly can be used.
They are often served with boiled and buttered potatoes garnished with caramelized onion and dill or parsley and applesauce or rhubarb applesauce on the side.
Often, mizeria (cucumbers with sour cream) accompany this dish, especially in summer when garden produce is plentiful.
- 4 boneless center-cut pork chops or a 1-pound pork tenderloin
- Salt and black pepper
- All-purpose flour
- 1 large egg beaten with 1 teaspoon water
- Breadcrumbs or panko crumbs
- Vegetable shortening or canola oil
- If using chops, trim off fat and gristle. If using tenderloin, trim off fat, remove silver skin and cut into 4 equal pieces.
- Pound pork between two pieces of plastic wrap to 1/4-inch thickness. Season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Dredge cutlets in flour, then egg-water mixture, then breadcrumbs or panko crumbs. Allow cutlets to dry for 10 minutes before frying.
- Heat shortening or oil to a depth of 1 inch in a large skillet. Fry one at a time by placing cutlets top side down into the pan.
- Fry 5 to 7 minutes per side until golden. Place on a heatproof plate in a warm oven (about 200 F) covered with foil and repeat with remaining cutlets. Alternatively, use two skillets to speed the process.
- Serve warm with applesauce, boiled potatoes and a green vegetable like Brussels sprouts if desired.
More Cutlet Recipes
- Pork Cutlets with Wild Mushrooms Recipe: This dish is served with a mushroom ragout of sorts consisting of assorted oyster, cremini, stemmed shiitake, chanterelle, and/or white button varieties.
- Simple Pork Cutlet Recipe: This is done in the German schnitzel style of cooking and is similar to the Polish recipe presented here except directions for a pan gravy are provided.
- Pork Cutlets with Creamy Mushroom Sauce Recipe: These cutlets are finished with a creamy mushroom sauce made with thickened milk.
- Polish Breaded Chicken Cutlets Recipe: Here boneless, skinless chicken breasts are given the same treatment as the boneless pork cutlets in the original recipe on this page.
- Polish Potato Cutlets Recipe: Also known as potato cakes, potato patties or potato croquettes, this vegetable side dish or vegetarian main course starts with freshly mashed potatoes in place of pork, chicken or another protein.
- Dutch Veal Croquettes Recipe: This version of cutlets is a popular pub and street food in Holland. They differ from typical croquettes because these are made with chopped cooked veal that has been mixed with a binding sauce, formed into rolls or patties, breaded and fried.