This quick and easy recipe for Polish plum cake (placek z sliwkami) makes good use of an abundance of fresh plums.
In a pinch or as a shortcut, two (14-ounce) cans whole purple plums, drained, pitted and halved can be used.
Other fruits like nectarines, peaches and apples also are perfect for this recipe.
- For the Cake
- 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 4 ounces (1/2 cup or 1 stick) room-temperature butter
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 large room-temperature eggs
- 40 fresh any variety plums, pitted and halved
- For the Streusel Topping
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 3 tablespoons cold butter, cut into pieces
Make the Cake
- Lightly coat a 13x9-inch pan with cooking spray and heat oven to 350 F.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and 3/4 cup sugar. Add 4 ounces room-temperature butter, milk, and eggs. Beat at medium speed 4 minutes.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Place plums on top, cut side up, pushing down slightly into batter.
Make the Streusel Topping
- Cut remaining 1/4 cup sugar and cloves into 3 tablespoons cold butter until crumbs form. Sprinkle over plums. Bake about 40 minutes or until a toothpick tests clean.
- Let the cake cool in the pan so the plum juices will be reabsorbed to create a moist cake.
- Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar, if desired, and cut into 12 squares.
International Plum Desserts
- Rustic Plum Tart Recipe: This open-face pie starts with a flaky cream cheese dough followed b a plum-almond filling topped with apricot preserves.
- Croatian Plum Dumplings Recipe: Plums are enrobed in a mashed potato dumpling dough and can be eaten as a dessert when sprinkled with sugar, as a meatless main course or side dish.
- German Plum Kuchen Recipe: This yeast-raised dough is filled with plums and poppy seeds.
- German Plum Roses Marzipan Recipe: Fresh red plum slices are wrapped in puff pastry and layered with a creamy marzipan-plum jam mixture.
- Eastern European Plum-Almond Coffee Cake Recipe: The secret of the moist crumb of this cake is almond paste. Fresh or canned plums can be used.
- German Plum Dumplings Recipe: A curd cheese dough envelops plums that are simmered in water and then rolled in buttered bread or cracker crumbs.
- Turkish Plum Upside Down Cake Recipe: This has all the appeal of a pineapple upside down cake except it's made with luscious red or purple plums.