This easy pork burrito mixture can be cooked on the stovetop or in the slow cooker. Lean boneless pork shoulder or butt is perfect for these burritos. The pork is cooked until it's very tender and then seasonings are added.
Spread some refried beans on the tortillas before you add the pork. Serve the burritos with cheddar or pepper jack cheese, sour cream, shredded lettuce, and chopped tomatoes or salsa. Or use your favorite toppings.
See the tips and variations for freezing instructions.
- 1 pound lean boneless pork butt or shoulder, trim/cut in 1-inch chunks
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 4 large dried red New Mex or California chiles OR 3 tablespoons ground mild red chile (or chili powder)*
- 1 clove garlic, minced or pressed
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dry oregano
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 4 to 6 flour tortillas, 8 to 10-inch
- sour cream, shredded cheese, chopped tomato, shredded lettuce, guacamole
- Place pork in a 2 to 3-quart saucepan over medium-high heat and add water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 1 hour. Meat should be very tender. Skim off excess fat, but leave the liquids.
- Remove stems and seeds from the dried chiles; break up and process in a blender or food processor until finely ground. Add to pork along with garlic, salt, oregano, and vinegar. Simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally until sauce thickens (about 35 to 45 minutes).
- Meanwhile, wrap tortillas in foil and heat in a 350 F (180 C/Gas 4) oven for about 15 minutes, or until hot. Or wrap in plastic wrap and microwave on high for about 30 seconds.
- To serve, spoon pork filling down the center of each tortilla and add garnishes as desired. Fold the ends over the pork and roll up, tucking the ends in, encasing the filling. Or roll the tortilla without tucking the ends in. See How to Fold a Burrito
Slow Cooker Instructions
- Put the chunks of pork shoulder into the slow cooker with 1/2 cup of water. Cover and cook on HIGH for 3 hours.
- Drain and discard all but 3 to 4 tablespoons of the liquids. Add the ground chile or chili powder, garlic, salt, oregano, and vinegar (see above).
- Cover and cook on HIGH for about 2 hours, or on LOW for 3 to 5 hours.
- Proceed with the assembly instructions for burritos.
- *If you use chili powder, add about 2 tablespoons. Mix well and taste; add more, if needed.
Tips and Variations
- Spread tortillas with a tablespoon or two of refried beans before you add the pork. Roll up and serve with toppings.
- Make Ahead Tip: Assemble the burritos with pork and refried beans, if desired. Top with some cheese and/or salsa and then roll up, enclosing the pork mixture completely. Place the burritos on a baking sheet and freeze. Wrap each frozen burrito in foil and then place them in a freezer bag. To reheat, remove the foil and wrap the burrito in a dampened paper towel. Microwave on high for 2 to 4 minutes, or until the burrito is thoroughly heated. Serve with toppings, as desired.
You Might Also Like