This pot roast is an all-in-one meal that your family will love. Carrots, rutabaga, and potatoes make this classic beef pot roast a hearty one-pot meal.
If you have other favorite vegetables you like in a pot roast, feel free to add them. Parsnips and turnips may be added. Or add frozen peas or mixed vegetables near the end of the cooking time.
- 1 beef pot roast, about 4 pounds, lean chuck or other beef suitable for braising
- All-purpose flour for dredging
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium onion, halved, sliced
- 1/4 cup water or beef broth (low sodium)
- 4 medium potatoes, halved
- 6 carrots, halved lengthwise
- 4 onions, cut in wedges
- 1 small rutabaga, cut in 2-inch pieces
- Dredge pot roast with the flour'
- Heat the oil in a heavy Dutch oven or stockpot over medium heat. Add the flour coated roast and cook, turning to brown all sides. Remove to a plate and set aside.
- Place the sliced onions in the pan and cook, stirring, until lightly browned.
- Place the roast on the onions and season with the salt and pepper; add the water or broth. Cover and simmer for 2 hours.
- Add the vegetables and simmer for 1 hour longer.
- With a slotted spoon, remove the beef and vegetables to a warm platter and keep warm.
Make the Gravy
- Add enough water or low sodium beef broth to the pot roast liquid to make 2 cups; heat.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of flour with a little cold water; stir until smooth.
- Stir flour mixture into the broth and season to taste. Cook, stirring, until thickened.
- Pour the sauce over the pot roast and vegetables or serve on the side.
You Might Also Like