This potato soup with sausage and greens is purportedly similar to the Olive Garden's delicious Toscana soup. The browned Italian sausage and bacon make it a hearty soup, perfect for a lunch or dinner soup. Add a salad and crusty bread for a fabulous meal.
- Remove sausage from casings; brown in a skillet, breaking up, until cooked through. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat, cook the onions and diced bacon together until the onions are translucent and bacon is crisp.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute longer.
- Add the chicken base, water, and potatoes, and escarole or kale; simmer 15 minutes.
- Add the browned sausage and cream. Simmer for 3 to 4 minutes and serve.