The Poulette Sauce is a creamy, tangy mushroom sauce for chicken and poultry dishes. The word poulette comes from the French word for "pullet," which refers to a young hen.
The Poulette Sauce is made by adding sautéed mushrooms, chopped parsley and lemon juice to a basic Allemande Sauce.
- 1 quart Allemande Sauce
- 2 cups mushrooms (chopped)
- 2 Tbsp parsley (chopped)
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice (or to taste)
- In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, heat the butter over medium heat until it's frothy. Add the mushrooms and sauté until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the Allemande Sauce to the mushrooms. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the chopped parsley, season to taste with lemon juice and serve right away.