A favorite treat in the Spanish speaking Caribbean islands is a type of macaroon cookie called coconut kisses (besitos de coco). Here is a simple basic recipe, which can be gussied up by sprinkling with crushed nuts, or by dipping or drizzling in chocolate.
- 3 cups unsweetened fresh coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup flour
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons coconut (or vanilla) extract
1. Preheat your oven to 350 Fahrenheit (177 Celsius).
2. Grease a 13 x 9 x 2 cookie sheet.
3. In a bowl, thoroughly mix all ingredients together into a sticky dough.
4. Divide the dough into 24 uniform balls.
5. Place the balls on the greased cookie sheet and bake for about 25 minutes. They should be golden brown.