This traditional finishing sauce is a wonderful accompaniment to Carolina-style pulled pork. It is served on the side so you can use as much or as little as you'd like.
- 1 cup (240 mL) cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons (45 mL) brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) salt
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) cayenne
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) red pepper flakes
1. Place cider vinegar and brown sugar into a small saucepan. Bring sauce to a light simmer (do not boil), until sugar melts, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and simmer for an additional 2 minutes.
2. Remove sauce from heat and let cool completely. Store sauce in an airtight container, jar or bottle, in refrigerator for up to 2 weeks after preparation. It is best, however, to use sauce 24 hours after preparation to allow all the flavors to meld together.
Serve as a side sauce.