This recipe for maple syrup bread makes a tasty, quick bread for breakfast, brunch or an afternoon snack any time of year. Like most quick breads, it involves blending different ingredients — wet and dry ingredients separately, and then together — into a mixture and baking it off.
This quick bread includes pure maple syrup. Let's talk a little bit about the different grades of syrup and how they are affected in the baking process.
According to Stannard Farms, Vermont maple syrup is graded by color. Grade A Fancy is the lightest maple syrup and it usually has the lightest flavor. Then there is Grade A Medium Amber syrup, which is slightly darker and has a little more flavor. Grade A Dark Amber is an even darker, while Grade B is the darkest and considered in most places referred to as the best maple syrup.
The Kitchn recommends that if you are making a quick bread, Grade B would be your best bet. Make sure to choose pure maple syrup for this recipe — sorry, Aunt Jemima and Mrs. Butterworth.
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup nuts (raw, chopped, and lightly toasted)
- Grease and flour a loaf baking pan.
- Over the oven, heat milk and butter in a small saucepan but do not let it boil. Once the butter is completely melted, stir in the pure maple syrup.
- Take the hot mixture off from the heat.
- Preheat oven to 325 F.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt with a wire whisk. Thoroughly mix dry ingredients well.
- In a large bowl, pour in some milk. Quickly stir in the eggs. Add the remaining milk mixture and stir it until it is completely combined.
- Add the flour mixture into the wet ingredients, then mix until well combined. Stir nuts into that mixture.
- Place the batter into prepared pan and bake it for one hour.
- Let the bread cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then transfer it to a wire rack. Serve bread alone or with butter.
A Few More Quick Bread Recipes
- World's Best Pumpkin Bread: A perfect pumpkin bread ideal for fall baking.
- Spicy Ginger Pear Bread: Add a different flavor to a simple-to-bake quick bread.
- Fresh Peach Bread: Fresh peaches go into this delicious quick bread.
- Chocolate Zucchini Muffins: Healthy and tasty, these chocolate muffins get super-moist from zucchini.
- Maraschino Cherry Nut Bread: Enjoy the distinctive flavor of cherry in a moist, crunchy nut bread.