Serve this dish of peas with cornbread and sliced tomatoes for a perfect family meal.
- 3 slices bacon, diced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed and minced
- 8 ounces ham, diced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups fresh purple hull peas
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook the bacon in a skillet or microwave until almost crisp.
- Remove to paper towels to drain. Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion and ham and cook, stirring, until onion is tender and lightly browned. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute longer.
- Add the bacon, chicken broth, and peas and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 50 to 60 minutes, or until peas are just tender.
- Remove cover and increase to medium-low; simmer for 5 to 10 minutes longer.
- Taste and add salt and pepper, as needed.
Serves 6 to 8.
Happy New Year Peas
Hoppin' John II
Black-Eyed Pea Loaf
Black-Eyed Pea Salad
Black Eyed Peas and Smoked Picnic
Smoked Picnic Ham with Pineapple
Fresh Pork Picnic with Vegetables
Black-Eyed Peas Index
Crockpot Pork and Ham Recipes