If your bedroom doesn't have wall-to-wall carpeting—or you just want to add a pop of color on top of your existing carpeting—a bedroom rug is a must-have. Not only can the right rug add comfort and coziness to your bedroom floor, but it can add warmth, color, texture and pattern, too.
Area rugs—especially large area rugs to place under a queen-sized bed—can be a major financial investment. Plus, if you order a rug online, return shipping can be super expensive. That's why it's so important to choose the right size and style for your space before you buy. Not sure where to begin? Check out these simple decorating tips to choose the perfect rug to place under your queen bed.
How to Choose the Right Size
In order to fit a queen bed into a bedroom with plenty of walking space around all three sides of the bed, your bedroom should measure at least 10 feet by 10 feet. Your room size and orientation will also inform the size of the area rug that's placed underneath your bed. Typically, beds are placed perpendicular to area rugs, meaning the rug should be placed horizontally across your room. You'll also want to place your rug at least six inches, but no more than two feet, away from your bedroom walls.
There are variations of course—some bedrooms are smaller and some rooms are larger—but this breakdown of rug sizes should help:
- Area rugs measuring four feet by six feet are generally considered too small for a queen bed. If you have two smaller rugs you love, however, consider layering them, or put one rug on each side of the bed.
- If you have a small bedroom, a five foot by seven foot rug or a five foot by eight foot rug could work under a queen bed. Keep in mind, this is the smallest size you'll want to place under a queen-sized bed and you won't be able to place your nightstands on the rug.
- In a normal-sized bedroom, a six foot by nine foot rug is a good size to place under a queen bed. Although you won't be able to put your nightstands on the rug, you'll have about 14 inches of rug underfoot on each side of the bed.
- A rug measuring seven feet by 10 feet is likely the largest rug you'll use under a queen bed in an average size bedroom. This will give you 20 inches of cushion underfoot on each side.
- If your bedroom is larger, consider placing rugs measuring eight feet by 10 feet or nine feet by 12 feet under your bed. Both of these configurations allow you to place your nightstands on the rug, as well as a bench or chair at the foot of the bed.
- If your bedroom is very small, consider placing runners or sheepskins on either side of the bed, or at the foot of your bed. They'll add coziness and warmth without taking up too much floorspace.
Where to Place a Rug in a Bedroom
Once you've determined the correct-sized rug for your bedroom, the next step is to figure out your furniture placement.
If you're having a hard time visualizing your space, use blue painter's tape to represent your area rug, furniture, and other features of the bedroom. It's cheap, easy, and causes zero damage.
Here are some simple guidelines for bed placement on an area rug:
- If you opt for a smaller area rug measuring five feet by seven or eight feet, place the rug under the bottom two-thirds of your queen bed. That way, you'll have a few inches of rug exposed on all three sides of the bed.
- An area rug measuring seven feet by 10 feet should be placed under the bottom two-thirds of the bed or closer to the headboard, so your nightstands can be placed on the rug, too.
- Larger area rugs measuring eight by 10 or nine by 12 can accommodate your queen bed and nightstands. If you prefer to keep your nightstands off of the rug, place it under the bottom three-quarters of your queen bed.
- Very small rugs, like runners or sheepskins, should be placed on the sides or at the foot of the bed. No furniture should be placed on top.
It may seem like a decorating afterthought, but the right or wrong area rug can make or break a bedroom. But it's important to remember that every space is different, so you might need to bend a few decorating rules to create a cozy, comfortable bedroom that works for you.