Need a quick 7 layer dip recipe? Or something perfect for your Super Bowl snack line up? This classic seven layer dip recipe is a quick and easy vegetarian appetizer, inspired by the flavors of Mexico. There's no real right or wrong way to make a seven layer dip, and no matter which way you do it, like most Mexican foods (or really, Americanized Mexican foods), I have a special weakness for foods like this!
This particular seven layer dip recipe combines the refried beans and salsa into a single layer, and spices up the sour cream with taco seasoning, making it a great example of something that is "semi-homemade"; that is, you didn't make the salsa or the beans from scratch necessarily, but you improved upon the store-bought ingredients by adding some fresh ingredients too.
Need it to be vegan? Easy! Just use a non-dairy sour cram substitute and either omit the cheese or use a non-dairy vegan cheese substitute as well. Need it to be gluten-free? Your likelihood of finding a gluten-free taco seasoning is quite low, so I'd suggest either omitting it completely, or, if you have a gluten-free taco sauce or even a hot sauce and some chili powder, mix in a bit of that with the sour cream instead of the taco seasoning packet. Either way, your 7 layer dip is sure to disappear quickly when served!
You might also want to try this vegan 7 layer dip recipe. Or, if you're looking for something more refined, check out this collection of gourmet vegetarian appetizer ideas. Recipe courtesy of Bush's.® Beans.
See also: More bean dip recipes
- First, in a small bowl, mix together the sour cream and the packet of taco seasoning. Chill this mixture in the fridge for 30 minutes to allow the flavors to combine.
- Next, In a small sauce pan, combine together the vegetarian refried beans and the salsa. Heat on medium until evenly blended, about 5-7 minutes. Let cool.
- Shred lettuce. Dice tomatoes, avocados, and green onions.
- Take cooled beans and salsa and spread in 11x13 inch pan. Spread sour cream/taco seasoning mixture over beans. Layer the cheese, olives, lettuce, tomatoes, avocados, and green onions in that order evenly over each ingredient.
- Serve your seven layer dip with with tortilla chips.
See also: More vegetarian recipes