This easy coleslaw recipe uses packaged shredded cabbage mixture and homemade coleslaw dressing. The optional sliced green onions add some nice color and flavor to the mix.
Sugar and cider vinegar are added to the mayonnaise to make the tangy dressing, but feel free to adjust the sugar to suit your taste. A sugar substitute can be used to sweeten the dressing as well.
- 1 pound packaged shredded coleslaw mixture
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced, optional
- 1 to 1 1/4 cups mayonnaise
- 4 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 3 to 4 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- salt, to taste
- In a large bowl, toss the shredded coleslaw mixture with green onions, if using.
- In a small bowl, whisk together 1 cup of mayonnaise with the vinegar, 3 tablespoons of sugar, the celery seeds, and the ground black pepper. Add to the coleslaw mixture and stir to blend thoroughly.
- Add more mayonnaise and sugar, if needed, to taste. Add salt, to taste. Refrigerate until serving time.
- Serve with sandwiches, fried fish or seafood, pulled pork, or bean dishes.
- Too much purple cabbage will turn your coleslaw pink in time, so keep that in mind when you choose your coleslaw mixture.
- If you are using fresh green cabbage, shred it and toss it with a few teaspoons of salt. Give it about 20 to 30 minutes; drain and the toss with the remaining ingredients.
- Give it at least a few hours in the refrigerator for best flavor, or make it a day in advance.