Serve this heavenly sauce over pound cake, shortcakes, or peach or this buttermilk ice cream. As you can see in the photo, I added a few sliced strawberries and a handful of blueberries to the finished sauce. I loved the fresher flavor and the added texture from the firm berries.
Feel free to replace the Peach brandy or Schnapps with more peach juice or peach nectar.
- 1 can (15 ounces) diced or sliced peaches in natural juice
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons peach brandy, peach Schnapps, or peach nectar or more juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- dash nutmeg or cinnamon, optional
- Drain peach juice into a bowl. Dice the peaches and set aside.
- In a saucepan combine 1/2 cup peach juice,* the sugar, cornstarch, and peach brandy or Schnapps (or more juice). Cook, stirring, over medium heat until thickened and bubbly.
- Add the peaches, flavoring, and spices, if using. Stir to blend and heat through.
- Serve the sauce with ice cream, shortcake biscuits, or over pound cake or angel food cake along with some whipped cream or whipped topping.
*If you don't have 1/2 cup of juice after draining the peaches, add a little water or peach nectar.