- 6 ounces cornbread stuffing mix (1 box, Stove-Top is great)
- 4 tablespoons butter (as directed for stuffing mix)
- 10 3/4 ounces cream of celery soup (1 can)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 4 pork chops (center cut boneless, about 3/4 inch thick, or 8 very thin boneless chops)
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup onion (chopped)
- 1 small bell pepper (cut in strips)
- Optional: 1/2 cup Cheddar cheese (shredded, or a blend of Cheddar and Monterey Jack cheeses)
Heat oven to 350 F.
Lightly grease a 2 1/2- to 3-quart baking dish.
Prepare the stuffing mix following package directions. Spoon into the prepared baking dish. Arrange pork chops around the stuffing and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Top with chopped onion and bell pepper strips.
Combine the soup and milk and spoon over the chops.
Bake for about 35 to 45 minutes, or until pork chops are cooked and tender.
Sprinkle with cheese, if using, and continue baking just until cheese is melted.
Tips and Variations
- Use a bread stuffing mix or stuffing mix with cranberries or add about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of dried cranberries to the stuffing mixture.
- Add 1/2 cup of diced apple to the stuffing mixture
- Add about 1/4 cup of chopped pecans to the stuffing mixture..
- Omit the soup and milk and use 2 cups of white sauce (below). Season with celery salt, to taste. Add sauteed celery, if desired.
- White Sauce With or Without Celery: Melt 4 tablespoons of butter in a saucepan over medium heat. If desired, saute 1/2 cup of chopped celery until tender. Add 1/4 cup of flour, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and a dash of freshly ground black pepper. Cook, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes. Gradually add 2 cups of milk or half-and-half and cook, stirring, until the sauce has thickened. Add celery salt, to taste, if desired.
You Might Also Like