This vegetarian and vegan recipe for Indian chickpea curry (garbanzon bean curry) uses prepared and canned ingredients so you can whip it up in a hurry - it really is a very quick and easy recipe. Even though it uses canned ingredients, you add lots of spices to give your curried chickpeas a real Indian flavor. I love Indian food, and I love quick and simple meal ideas, so these easy curried chickpeas are one of my favorite dishes, and it's a recipe that I keep in my regular rotation. I probably make a version of this dish about once a month (I almost add spinach or kale for a little healthy green boost).
Serve your curried chickpeas over steamed white or brown rice or another whole grain to make it a full meal instead of just a side dish, if you'd like.
This recipe is vegetarian, vegan and gluten-free.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 2 15 1/2 ounce cans chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder or turmeric
- 1 tsp cumin
- 3 tbsp prepared chutney
- 2 15 1/2 ounce cans diced tomatoes (no need to drain)
First, heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet or sauce pan. Add the chopped onion and sautee the onion just until soft, about 3 to 5 minutes.
Add remaining ingredients and stir to combine well. Cover, and allow to cook for at least 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until heated through.
Like many Indian food recipes, this one doesn't call for any salt, as it relies on the combination of several Indian spices for flavor.
If you're used to a saltier diet, however, you might just miss the salt, so add a little bit in (I almost always highly recommend sea salt or kosher salt in place of regular table salt).
This dish will make about 6 servings if you're making it as a side dish. If you're planning on serving it as an entree, however, plan on it making closer to 3-4 servings.
See also: More gluten-free vegan dinner ideas
Like this Indian curried chickpeas recipe? Here's a few more vegetarian and vegan Indian food recipes to try:
- Vegetarian lentil sambar recipe
- Easy mint and cilantro chutney
- Baked vegetarian samosas with peas and potatoes
- Vegetarian coconut curried lentils
- Homemade vegan naan (Indian flatbread)
- Mixed Indian-spiced vegetables (subji)
- Fried paneer pakoras
- Indian tandoori-spiced grilled tofu
- Aloo matar (Indian spiced potatoes and peas
- Dairy-free vegan mango lassi recipe
- Even more vegetarian Indian food recipes