These pickled beets are quick and easy to prepare, and no canning is required. The recipe makes a small 6-serving batch of quick pickled beets.
Instead of boiling the beets, roast them in the slow cooker.
- 12 to 16 small beets
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1 tablespoon whole pickling spices
- Wash beets well; cut off leaves about an inch above beets.
- Cook the beets in boiling water for about 30 to 40 minutes, or until tender. Cool; rub off skins, trim, and slice.
- Combine sugar and vinegar in a medium saucepan. Tie spices in a small piece of cheesecloth and place in a saucepan. Simmer for 15 minutes; add sliced beets and bring to a boil.
- Discard spices and chill thoroughly before serving.